Welcome to Anvil Bay
Anvil Bay is a private and exclusive barefoot beach camp on a rare untouched stretch of coastal wilderness in Mozambique’s most southern national park. Created with the smallest possible footprint to preserve the wilderness and special sense of place the camp is set up on the beach under canvas and thatch.
The beach bar, lounge and restaurant are centrally positioned on the bay. With the accommodations either side. Just 10 Casinhas are nestled in the dune forest on stilted wooden decks, each with its own stretch of beachfront.
The lure of Africa is to experience the wilderness as it’s been for thousands of years. Anvil Bay is a beach in Africa where it is as it’s been for thousands of years. On a rare unspoiled stretch of beach guests get to experience life close to nature but with all the comforts of home.
The perfect beach holiday to just relax and recover from a strenuous overland safari. Or go on new adventures at sea, on the beach or exploring the lakes forests and savannas of the park. Escape to a world of simple pleasures and lifetime memories.
Sunrises over the ocean and sunsets across the Parks pristine lakes and vast savannas. Evenings under the stars around a campfire. Miles of untouched beaches and an ocean teeming with marine life to explore. Anvil Bay is a dream destination for nature lovers in search of the perfect get away from it all wilderness beach experience.
Activity Centre offering a host of ways to explore and enjoy …
- Beach Walks
- Dune Forest Trails
- Rock Pool Exploration
- Beach Games
- Turtle Nestling Walks (SEASONAL)
- Sea Kayaks
- Body Boarding
- Stand Up Paddle Boards
- Shore Fishing
- Snorkeling Trips
- Ocean Safari and Whale Watching
- Ocean Fishing
- Culture Village Tour Or Santa Maria Tour
What sets Anvil Bay Apart
- Private barefoot-luxury wilderness experience
- Miles of uninhabited pristine coastline
- Located in the spectacular Maputo Special Reserve (formally the Elephant Reserve)
- One of Earth’s biologically richest ecosystems
- Southern Africa’s last herd of coastal elephant
- Whale and turtle encounters in season
- Myriad beach, ocean and park activities
- Authentic Mozambique Cuisine and fresh seafood
- Small ecological footprint, fully solar powered
- Community-owned, responsible tourism destination
Anvil Bay is located at Maputo Special Reserve in Southern Mozambique.
- Helicopter Transfer: This is generally the preferred option for guests as it brings you direct to Anvil Bay in just 30 minutes from Maputo International Airport. If traveling to us by Helicopter you will be met at the airport after clearing customs and immigration and introduced to your pilot. Sit back and enjoy the magnificent scenery as you fly around the Bay of Maputo before passing over mangrove and savanna on your way to the coast.
- Road Transfer: Why not treat yourself to a scenic game drive as part of your journey to Anvil Bay? Transfer by road is available both from Maputo and from the Kosi Bay border post between South Africa and Mozambique. Driving time from Kosi Bay is around 2.5 hours and from Maputo around 3-4 hours.
- Self Drive: For those with an adventurous spirit you can drive to Anvil Bay, Ponta Chemucane. A 4×4 vehicle is required and you will need to enter the Maputo Special Reserve before 17h00 in Summer or 16h00 in Winter. Contact us for detailed directions and information.